Developmental Therapist- First Steps
- - Therapies
- Kokomo, IN, USA
- Part Time
Provide special instruction, family training and education to the child and/or parent/caregiver of a First Steps eligible child at the child's home or at a mutually agreed upon alternative setting or natural environment in accordance with the Individualized Family Service Plan for the child and family.
- Provide special instruction that promotes the child's acquisition of development skills in a variety of developmental areas including cognitive development, adaptive development, social and emotional well being, motor development, and communication development.
- Responsible for completing required training and paperwork through First Steps to remain credentialed.
- Provide service that incorporates the parents/caregiver's involvement in order to encourage follow through and integration of the developmental skills in all aspects of the young child's daily life.
- Provide family training and education to assist the family in understanding the special needs of the child and to enhance the child's development in face-to-face meetings in the child's home.
- Work cooperatively with the Service Coordinator in the development and implementation of the Individualized Family Service Plan.
- Maintain documentation of progress of child and family per visit and provide quarterly reports as required by First Steps.
- Develop and maintain a schedule for home visits which is available to immediate supervisor weekly.
- Provide transportation for self to home visits and area/state meetings.
- Relate and communicate with parents/caregivers, staff of the agency, and co-workers. Effectively and openly communicate with and assist program staff in a flexible and timely fashion regarding pertinent problems or changes noted in an individual to ensure quality of service.
- Schedule individual sessions according to individual needs.
- Participate in staffings and conferences as indicated to review progress.
- Maintain accurate and timely records of services provided for statistical and billing purposes.
- Assist with IFSP development as needed.
- Physical activities may include but not limited to: frequent bending, kneeling, reaching, and squatting. Depending on person served, must be able to carry, lift, push or pull 25-50 pounds routinely with occasional lifting of up to 100 pounds utilizing appropriate body mechanic techniques and/or equipment provided.
- Become knowledgeable with current legislation and state/federal policies concerning Early Intervention.
- Attend First Steps/Step Ahead Council Meetings as scheduling allows.
- Meet requirements and standards of early developmental therapist.
- Adhere to policies regarding all duties and communicate effectively with supervisor concerning priorities.
- Become knowledgeable of the First Steps System.
- Be committed to providing a safe environment for all clients.
- Portray a positive attitude that maintains a customer and co-worker satisfaction level that limits adverse situations or complaints.
- Promote agency philosophies, generating team spirit and creating and maintaining an environment that fosters employee satisfaction, and maximizes productivity and profitability.
- Attend meetings and training as requested.
- Bachelor's, Master's and/or Doctorate degree in early childhood or special education (with an early childhood focus) is required. Those with related degrees in child development including certified Child Life Specialists, early intervention or nursing (MSN with a pediatric major) and who have completed thirty (30) hours of academic child development coursework may also be considered.
- One year of Early Childhood experience preferred.
- Must maintain First Steps Credentials.
- Must have experience working with parents, families, and young children.
- Must possess a customer service personality and have the ability to establish and maintain rapport with staff and patients.
- Must possess or be capable of obtaining CPR and first aid certification annually and perform as necessary.
- Must possess good communication skills both written and oral.
- Must be approved by First Steps enrollment.